Upton Mill was owned by William Carter in the mid1800s. At this time William Carter was a farmer with local land as well as being a miller and baker.
Edward Dean - born in 1839 (1836 according to later family member) married Carter's daughter Elizabeth
and by 1871 was living and working at the Mill.
By the time of the 1881 census he was now the Mill owner
with his family of five children -
Edward bn. 26/7/1865 at the Mill Hse
Joseph bn. 1869
Elizabeth (census recorded as Bessie) bn.17/12/1871
Helen bn 4/10/1877
Charles bn 14/6/1879
their first-born William having died aged 2yrs in 1866.
By the 1891 census, Edward jun (now 26 yrs) and brother Joseph are recorded as having moved into Upton Park. The three youngest children still in the Mill house.
Elizabeth (Bessie) married John Maddock in 1895 at Upton church. Her children were Dorothy (later to become Dorothy Turton); Marjorie (later to become Marjorie Hewer) and son Edward Maddock.
By the 1901 Electoral Roll; Edward Junr is recorded as the owner of Upton Mill. From family records he came into ownership of the Mill on his marriage to Martha Richardson. Edward (Snr) retired to 'The Acres' in Upton and died in 1910 aged 72yrs. Son Joseph had moved with his parents to run the farm. He died 6/7/1914 (presumably not as a war casualty since he is not named on the war memorial.
After Edward (jnr) moved back into the Mill House as the head of household it appears that the rest of Edward's (Snr) children had left Upton Park. Edward (jnr) died young in 1914 at 45yrs - who managed the Mill from that date is not yet known.
On the occasion of the retirement of Emily Griffiths