The two b/w images are believed to be from the 1950s
The Long Lane garage is believed to have been started by Mr.Davies who lived in Heath Road
By the 1940s the Post Office and one or two petrol pumps were owned by Mr. & Mrs. Bradley. Mrs. Bradley would serve in the Post Office and go outside to serve petrol when someone was at the pumps.
Mr. Bayley, Mr. Taylor and Mrs. Reece (later became Mrs. Burgess) bought shares in the garage in the late 1940s. Mr. Jagger then joined the team and in 1959 took on Derek Ryder - a young keen enthusiatic worker.
In 1960 Mr. Jagger died and by this time his daughter Susie had married Derek. Together they ran the petrol station and tyre business for 36 years with Susie's brother Richard joining them later. Derek was tragically killed in a car accident in 1996 and their two sons - Geoff & Steve - who had come into the family business as teenagers then took over the business.
The workshop was taken on by Don Stacey around 1962 until he retired in 1986 - shown here at his retirement..
The garage as it was around 1980