This smithy once stood on the Liverpool road. The house, with its oak beams, and
the smithy, are reputed to be between
three and four hundred years old. Our earliest record is of its coming into the
possession of the Egertons in 1780. It is one of the last small pieces of Upton still owned by
the daughter of Sir Philip B. Grey-Egerton in 1951 when the WI compiled their history of Upton.
The Darlington family were chiefly connected with the Smithy for many generations.
It was closed in 1941 after the death of
Mr. Darlington, and the contents of the forge were sold.