Origins of place names
Upton-by-Chester & district


very early days of construction

  • Acresfield School - presumably former field belonging to 'Acres' farm
  • Earls Oak - where Earl Haigh planted the oak in 'The Lawns'
  • Grangeside - presumably after the former 'Upton Grange'
  • Horrocks Way - site of the former MOD'The Firs' - General Horrocks GOC Western Command
  • Lawn Drive - site of the former 'The Lawns'
  • Marina Drive - after Princess Marina ?
  • Marl Heyes - ??possibly a former marl pit ?
  • Meadows Way - after Sir John Meadows Frost - who lived in 'The Lawns'
  • Mill Lane - naturally due to Upton Mill
  • Nield Court - site of the former 'Upton Grange'- home of Sir Basil Nield
  • Willow Close - site of former cricket ground

see also 'origins' page in the 1951 WI History