Plas Newton is not recorded on the 1839 Upton Tithe survey but a driveway is shown on the 1841 Newton Tithe survey. This suggests that Plas Newton - a fine country house - was built in the earlt 1840s. The first churchwarden of Upton church (before it became the parish church) was Col. E. Evans-Lloyd who reputedly lived at Plas Newton in 1843.
The 1872 OS shown here records Plas Newton and its Lodge much as it remained. Its most famous owner was Alfred Tyrer - a senior partner of a Liverpool-based solicitors but believed also to have been the son of a Liverpool shipping owner. Reputed to have played polo for England and written a book on the subject, he was clearly a gentleman of considerable wealth with stables and considerable numbers of polo ponies.
Alfred and his wife Ida Elizabeth played an active part in Upton village and church life. Garden parties were held on the lawns and evacuees were billeted in the house during WW2.
Alfred is reputed to have been among those who travelled on the first train to Hoylake in 1869 and he died at Plas Newton in 1946 at the age of 98. He is buried in Upton Parish church along with his wife who died in 1942 aged 86years.
Their Head Gardener was William Morgan who moved into the Lodge c1925. His son Bill who was born in Long Lane Upton in 1923 recounts his reminiscences.
After Tyrer's death the house was cleared of its treasures through a major auction that drew buyers from far and wide. One of the later owners was Mr. Tyler - choirmaster/organist at the parish church. The gradual demise of Plas Newton has yet to be researched.
Newton Cottage is recorded on both the Upton 1839 and the Newton 1841 Tithe surveys although as a smaller set of properties than in the 1872 OS above.
During WW1 Miss Clark-Lloyd of Newton Cottage was host to the family of the Emperor of Abyssinia and governess to his daughter. They were remembered attending Upton Church with brightly coloured umbrellas on wet days.
The Lloyd-Jones family farmed the Plas Newton estate for many years finally selling up farmland in the 1950s. CampbellLloyd-Jones left the area in the 1960s moving to Bala where he started a golf course
The farmhouse and outbuildings were demolished and the current modern housing built (c1990??)