Rose Cottage at the centre of the old Upton Village
Rose Cottage is believed to be the oldest private domestic house in Upton although
clearly the porch is a latter addition.
It is believed to be 'The Man in the Moon' public
house as featured in the 1735 'enclosures map of Upton Heath'.
The 1839 Tithe Survey records the cottage owned by Land Owner & Chester solicitor
Samuel Britain with tenant Miss Whitelock. By 1874 the
Cheshire Directory records the occupants as Mrs.Elizabeth & Christian Edmondson
For a period during the first half of the 20th century the cottage was owned by David Watkins
and was rented out to several tenants with military connections. These included -
- In 1914 Major Arthur Crookenden. His son Napier was born in the house on 31 Aug 1915
and followed the family tradition of military service with the Cheshire Regiment.
- In 1919/20 Commander Adair Hall
- In 1923/24 Captain Mark Sykes